High school was tough. But P.E. was torture. Here are some reasons why P.E. was the worst.
1. The anthem of the whistle is a wordless hymn from long ago. A calling we must answer though we know not why.
2. To go: around and around. To run. Where?
3. The way has no begin and no end.
4. In the locker chamber we exchange our clothes for a uniform of fitness. A garment designed for sweating. The relentless leaking of the body in motion.
5. We are running out of breath. We are all running out of breath.
6. There is a rope that moves nowhere and we are made to climb it.
7. We stretch our extremities in a rehearsal of limitations. A ritual of corporeal failing. We are bending our bones.
8. Where will the lopsided ball bounce? None can say. Its track is unpredictable. Its fate unknown.
9. There is an aching in our sides. The chronic sickness of perpetual exertion.
10. We have forgotten stillness.